I’m playing catch up so I can do this Sacred Days of Yule Tarot Spread. I just discovered it a few days ago from the forum. The direct link from the author is here. I’ll post the complete spread with pictures at the end of this exercise.
1. Mother Night of Dreams: – Dec 20th This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember my dream that night. But I can recall a few dreams here and there and most of them are family and friends related. I miss them so much that they keep popping in and out of my dreams.
I’m really happy that I pulled the 9 of Pentacles for this position. This card is about material prosperity. It’s that stage in one’s life where you feel stable and everything is going according to plan. I want to use this card as my motivation to start setting a proper budget, savings and all that other financial mambo jumbo. Right now I’m just spending as is, but my goal for next year is to be better at controlling it.
If I correlate my friends/family dream with the 9 of Pentacles, this could mean that my relationship with them will flourish. I’m guessing that some of my old friends from high school will come back in my life and my family and I will have a stronger relationship. I picked a really good card for the unforeseeable future.
2. Yule – Winter Solstice: – Dec 21st This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without – it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.
I pulled the 8 of Wands for this position. This card is about a quick progress and development. It’s hard to read this card by itself, but I’m assuming that if I really want to know and learn more about my inner self (consciousness), all I have to do is push myself towards that direction. But how do I tap into that? Patrick has been motivating me to learn the Transcendental Meditation. He just had an initiation to that and he said it’s very beneficial. Maybe I should give this TM a chance. It’s a quick twice a day meditation, 20 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes in the evening. I’m going to think more about this and see if it will work with my work schedule.
3. The Time of Beth: – Dec 22nd This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.
This is very literal, but what’s blocking my growth is the Strength to move forward. This card is not just talking about physical prowess but inner strength as well. The confidence and trust in one’s self that anything is possible. I have a few ideas up in the air in regards to professional and personal advancements but my mind is still scattered. I still don’t know where to begin. I heard this before, but the hardest part of doing something is starting it. I’m still garnering my will and energy to actually do something productive.
4. Hopi Time of Renewal – Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.
A perfect card for this position – The Hermit. I need to find a sanctuary from my busy life. I need to really schedule that “me time”. Sometimes I’m so busy with work and other relationships that I scrimp on my personal needs. I think I need to pick one day a week and really preserve that day just for me, with no social commitments, no technology to bother me (like emails and cellphones)… just me, maybe a book and a coffee.
I like how The Hermit is portrayed in the Victorian Romantic. As usual, he is a man of old age. He holds an hourglass in his left hand and a scythe in his right. The scythe is about cutting your connection with the world and just be one with himself. The hourglass is about time-well-spent.
5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: – Dec 24th This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.
The Magician is the message of my ancestors to me. How creepy is this? In the Magician Card, there is a skeleton standing up beside the table, looking at him. He looks startled by the enlightening message from either the book that he is reading or the whispers from the other side. They’re telling me that everything is in my hands right now. Everything is under my control. I just need to re-assure myself and be confident of myself.
6. Festival of Life, Christmas: – Dec 25th This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.
The Fool is telling me to be a dare-devil this coming year. To be unafraid and look at the future with positive light. To be carefree and to trust that everything will go well. In this card, a circus performer is showing his act on stage, although he looks ridiculous to them, he is not afraid of what they think. This is his real self and he has nothing to be ashamed of.
7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: – Dec 26th This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.
The Chariot. To be pro-active in the relationship. Don’t stay passive. Be interested in what they are doing and in return, they will be interested in what I am doing. I see a picture of four people in this chariot. It’s unlike any other Chariot cards I’ve ever seen. In this card, it seems like there is a teamwork and participation from different people in order to proceed in the right direction. A very interesting card that relates to dealing with family and friends.
8. Birth of Freyja: – Dec 27th This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.
The World. This card has been showing itself in almost every deck I use. May it be the Deviant Moon, Tarot of the Dead or even the Secret Tarot. I’m always happy to see it because it reassures me that everything will be okay. Whatever I’m doing is leading me to the right direction. Seeing that this card is in the position for love and creative aspects, I’m positive that my extra-curricular activities and plans will work out well this coming year.
9. Feast of Alcyone: – Dec 28th This card gives us a personal inner message – one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.
I love this depiction of The High Priestess. According to the companion book, she is a witch who can foresee the future. The smoke that is coming out of the cauldron is some sort of a divination. This is fascinating to me because I like doing spells here and there. This year would be a good year for me to really get into doing tarot spells. I did a really powerful one a few months ago and I think I need to continue experimenting on this. This card is especially telling me to continue seeking the truth and the mystery… the hidden ones that can only be uncovered by continuous learning and understanding of the arts and esoteric.
10. Day of Nymphs – Dec 29th This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.
Nine of Cups showed up for this position. I’m assuming that this card is telling me to be contented with what I have and enjoy the simpler things in life. The picture is showing a guy who has a cup that is either filled or empty. But whatever it is, it doesn’t bother him. I’m thinking that this is encouraging me to be creative this coming year. I need to find things that I already have or something that I already know and make use of it. I have a feeling that this card is advising me to not be wasteful as well, and to not focus on the negative side of things. To connect with my inner being, I have to accept experiences as they come. I need to lower expectations and make them reasonable as to not fall flat when they are not met.
11. Day of Rest: – Dec 30th This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way….with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.
Another perfect card for this position… The Six of Swords! When I pulled it, I immediately thought “Look at the brighter side!”. The picture shows people sailing towards the castle and they are not too far from the coast anymore. Their travel is at an end and they will be safe again. I also see this as a “travel” card or a vacation. Patrick and I are actually thinking of doing a cruise this year and this may well predict that future. How amazing!
12. New Year’s Eve, Hogmanay – Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.
5 of Cups. 2009 was a huge turning point in my life. A lot of big decisions has been made. A lot of disappointments has been experienced. But a lot of good things has also happened in my life. In this picture, I see a woman who looks to be somewhat disappointment. She seems to be focusing too much on what she is seeing and not realizing that she has a full basket of beautiful flower behind her. This card is telling me to finally let go of the hurtful past and learn from it instead.
Overall, I’m really impressed with this reading. This yule spread extends and predicts the coming 2010 events too. I’m glad to see a lot of major cards in this spread. I’m thinking that 2010 is another huge one for me.